Most of the times, people love to express their love with flowers on special occasions like wedding day, valentine day or even on birthdays. But we see that flowers and especially roses wither quickly and they could only stay fresh hardly for one day. Every person wants to use fresh bouquet of flowers as a gift to their loved ones but due to lack of knowledge and care these flowers wither within a day or two. The main reason is very obvious that flowers can no longer intake water from its stems after we cut it off. But even if we put the flowers in a vase having enough water in it, still flowers can’t stay for more then 2 days. You can make your flowers and especially roses fresh for a long time with simple tricks which I am going to discuss here.
- When you get the fresh cut flower, you must remove all the leaves on the stem that are going to be under water. These leaves can deposit bacteria and fungus in water and as a result flower can’t intake the required amount of water.
- Cut the stem from the bottom for at least 1″ long and make the surface area as bigger as you can. You can use a sharp knife and hold the stem of flower with your other hand tightly. Now you have to cut the stem at about 45 degree angle to provide the maximum surface area from where flower can drink water.
- Try to put the flower back into water vase as soon as possible after cutting it from the garden. It is recommended to use warm water instead of cold water in the vase because flowers can intake warm water easily as compared to cold water.
- Avoid overcrowding the flowers and provide enough space for air in between the flowers. If there is no air crossing then flower petals will bruised early.
- If you need to make a bouquet then you must leave the flowers in fresh water for at least one complete day after removing its leaves which are under the water surface and cutting its stem.
- Keep changing the water in vase every day. If you keep the flowers in same water for more than a day, it will add bacteria in it which can cause flowers to wither early.
- You can also use the soda to make the flowers and roses fresh for a longer period of time. The last drops of your soda can be mixed with the water in the vase. 3 quarters of water and 1 quarter of soda are good enough to make the flowers fresh because sugar in the soda helps the flower blossoms for more time.
- Flower preservatives can also be added in the vase along with the water that will destroy the bacteria in the water. If you don’t have flower preservatives then you can also use household bleach.
- Using aspirin in the vase can also help to make the roses and other flowers fresh for more than a week. On first day, add one tablet of aspirin and after 24 hours add another tablet. After that leave the flowers as it is. With this method you can keep your flowers fresh for about 7 to 9 days easily.